10 November 2011

Vegan Cheez


MMMmmmm... pasta dinners.




Before I went vegan, my favorite meal was pasta. I'm part Italian, so it's just who I am, ya know?

But when I went vegan, I just lost my pasta craving. I was very sad.
It just wasn't the same for me without the cheese! I loved the salty yumminess of Romano cheese!
I eventually started eating pasta again...but sans cheese.  Nothing had changed. I still didn't love it.

There are lots of vegan parmesan-style cheeses out there these days.. like these:


             


I've tried a lot of them and have just not been all that impressed.
So I was happy to make my own!

And that's when I started loving pasta again!

This recipe is super easy. I like to make up a big batch and store it in a glass jar in the fridge.
Even though its a cinch to make, I still prefer to make it ahead. Less clean up! Plus, you just never know when you'll be needing some parm in a hurry!


Here's the recipe.

INGREDIENTS
7 Tbsp whole almonds or cashews, skin on is fine
3 Tbsp toasted white sesame seeds
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp ground flax seed
3/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried garlic granules

DIRECTIONS
Combine the nuts and sesame seeds in the bowl of a food processor (spice grinder also works well) and pulse until almonds are a fine crumb. A few larger, chunkier pieces are fine.
Add the remaining ingredients and pulse once or twice to combine.
Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking!
Store in an air-tight jar. 
Will easily last for 6 months... if you haven't eaten it all by then!







Enjoy the flavors :)



1 comment:

  1. I just finished making this for my spaghetti dinner tonight- it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete