12 January 2012

Pizza Party!


It's the "in" thing to do.
It's also super quick and easy. Mostly mess-free too.
What is it?!

It's no-knead pizza dough!
Just throw all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl, stir and let the dough do it's thing!

Here are a couple of shots of one of the pizzas- before baking- since once it was out of the oven all I wanted to do was eat it! No photograph it! :)







There are lots of no-knead bread and pizza dough recipes out there.

Here's my take on this wonderful method.
This recipe makes 2 large pizzas. I make them on baking sheets.
I like rectangles.


INGREDIENTS
2 + 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
1 + 1/4 cups warm water
2 tsp sugar
4 cups spelt flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp olive oil




DIRECTIONS
Start by proofing the yeast. In a glass measuring cup, combine the warm water, sugar and yeast. You can skip the proofing step if you like. I usually do it because I don't use yeast very often and would hate to find out that my yeast was dead 2 hours into my pizza making!
Let yeast sit for about 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam and expand.
In the meanwhile, whisk flour and salt together in a large bowl to get rid of lumps.
Once the yeast mixture is nice and foamy, stir it into the flour mix and drizzle with olive oil. Stir until just combined using a silicon spatula.
If mix becomes too wet and sticky, like if it's still sticking to the spatula and you're having trouble stirring it, then sprinkle a little more flour in. 
The dough should still be very soft and loose though, so don't add too much flour.
Lift dough and try to oil the bowl as well as you can so that it won't stick to the bowl when rising.
Cover your bowl of dough with saran to prevent it from drying out and allow it to rise in a warm, not too drafty space for about 2 hours (or until doubled in size).
Form dough into a ball. To do this you can either dump the dough out onto a floured surface or simply form it directly in the bowl. Either way works fine.
Divide dough into 2 balls, flour the tops and cover for another 30 minutes to rest the dough.
Now you can preheat your oven to 450-500 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and a little olive oil.
When the dough is ready to go, stretch each piece out until it covers each pan. You might need a little extra flour to handle the dough.
No need to form a crust, that should happen all on its own.
Brush lightly with olive oil, cover with your fave toppings and bake one pizza at a time for about 15 minutes each or until the under side of the pizza is nice and golden brown!
You could bake the 2 pizzas at the same time if your oven is big enough. Just make sure to rotate the pans about halfway through. The time will also need to be adjusted.



My Fave Topping Combo :
Thin layer of tomato pizza sauce
Dried herbs like oregano
Daiya cheddar cheez
Green olives
Mushrooms
Lots of sweet onion slices
Marinated artichokes
Dried garlic granules
Sprinkling of fine AND coarse sea salt!
Sesame seeds sprinkled on the crust! (someone I used to work with introduced me to this idea and I've loved it ever since!)
Yum!


G's Fave Topping Combo :
Tomato pizza sauce
Dried herbs
Red bell pepper slices
Onion slices
Pineapple chunks
Hot sauce
Dried garlic granules
Sea salt and cheese!



4 comments:

  1. Yummy! I don't have luck working with yeast, but I am going to try this recipe because I think I can do it. I really like sauteed greens on my pizza as a base, instead of or in addition to sauce. So creamy and filling. I also love zucchini on my pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the commenting Tweal! :)
    I'm sure you will love this! Let me know how it turns out for you! :) Love the sauteed greens idea!! I'm sure they'd go great with salty, delicious olives too :)
    Gonna try it next time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, that looks good. We love homemade pizza here too. Everyone gets exactly what they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, it's the best! pizza in restaurants is often lacking in ingredients! i like TONS of olives on mine! :)

      Delete