14 May 2012

For the BBQ- Kabob Marinade and Homemade Worcestershire Sauce Recipes!




Okay, well I'm not quite that hardcore!  Well, to be honest, I've never actually used a BBQ all on my own... but that's besides the point!  The point is that it's (almost) summertime!  The weather is beautiful which means BBQ season can now begin!  And it's already in full swing over in these parts.

My fave thing to BBQ is a good and juicy KEBOB!  What's YOUR fave thing to grill?  And what do YOU like on YOUR skewers?  I have a regular fave combo, an old standby... here's what's on my skewer!
 - Cremini mushrooms
 - Walla walla onions
 - Green peppers
 - Sweet cherry tomatoes
 - Pineapple (sometimes)
 - And of course... TOFU! Yummm!

I usually use the cheap wooden skewers that you can find at the grocery stores for about $1 a pack, but have recently been contemplating investing in some nice metal ones!
The wooden ones are fine and perfectly functional, but they can be a little risky... you know, having the ability to catch fire and all! But I've found that soaking them in water can minimally reduce that fire hazard. That, or wrapping the ends of each stick in a little foil.

All that being said, let me get to the point. The point is that I want to share with you one of my fave marinade recipes. It's a thick BBQ sauce-like marinade that has hints of sweet, sour, hot and spicy! You can use it on anything like baked tofu, beans or in my favorite case- KEBOBS! It's a rough recipe, so feel free to adjust the seasonings as you go!
I use my homemade
Worcestershire sauce (recipe follows) in this recipe but if you're not up to the task then you can most certainly use store-bought vegan (or regular) Worcestershire sauce without a problem. The main reason I make it from scratch is that I rarely use Worcestershire sauce and I don't need the extra clutter on my already too-full condiment shelf! So I like to make it in tiny quantities as I need it.

I like to chop up my veggies and make my marinade the night before the big Kebob Day. Then, during the last few minutes that the marinade is simmering, I toss the tofu cubes into the pot, cover and let sit for a bit for maximum flavor absorbancy! Then I throw in the rest of the veggies, stir and pour into a large Ziploc bag or a large container and refrigerate overnight. Simple as that!

Skewer the veggies right before grill time and BBQ until charred and delicious! MMmmm!

Homemade Worcestershire sauce in a spice jar

Simmering marinade- all blended up

Finished Product

The tofu- getting all delicious

The everything- getting all delicious
 

Kebob BBQ Marinade
makes about 2 cups


¼ cup peanut oil
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/3 cup sweet onion, diced
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 fresh Bay leaves
3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped

½ cup water

1 cup tomato product (like tomato paste, ketchup, or tomato sauce)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/
3 cup maple syrup (can also use pineapple juice or pureed pineapple)
1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
1 Tbsp homemade or store bought
Worcestershire sauce (recipe follows)
1/8 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp mustard powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
Sea salt or soy sauce to taste


Directions

In a medium pot, heat the peanut oil over medium heat and add the onions, mustard seeds and Bay leaves. Cook for about 5 minutes, making sure that the onions don’t burn or stick to the pot.
Reduce heat to medium low and slowly brown the onions. About 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and continue to cook until fragrant.
Increase heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove Bay leaves.
Puree the sauce right in the pot using a hand blender or alternatively transfer contents of pot to a blender.
Return sauce to a boil and keep cooking until it has thickened to desired consistency.
The thickness of the marinade will depend on what you are planning to use it for.
If you are planning on marinating veggies or tofu for the BBQ, then make it quite thick so that the marinade doesn’t drip off into the grill. You’ll also want it thicker if you want to use it as a dipping or basting sauce.
But if you are marinating something that will be baked or fried, then you’ll want it a little thinner.
Taste and season according to taste!
This sauce will last in the refrigerator in a well sealed jar for a couple of weeks.


My version of Worcestershire sauce
makes about a 1/4 cup

1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp tamarind sauce
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses
1/4 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp orange marmalade
1/8 tsp black pepper
Drop hot sauce
Pinch cinnamon, cloves, onion powder, garlic powder

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a small jar and shake!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting all these Delicious recipes, keep them coming!!! :)

    I haven't prepared nearly as much of these recipes as i should have, but i plan on making my way through all of them!!!

    again thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you to say! :)
      Keep me posted and most of all, have fun! :)

      Delete