06 August 2012

All Spiced Up Gluten Free Cornbread!

Hi y'all!
Here I am holding up a mini cornbread muffin for you!
As you can probably tell, I'm pretty darn excited about it.

 

It is the tiniest and cutest corn product ever! And let's not forget : light, fluffy and mega tasty too!
You'd never even guess that it was gluten free!

Of course, you could always bake the batter into a GIANT LOAF!
It's equally as delicious. Maybe not as cute, but cuteness isn't everything, now is it.

 

So many gluten free (vegan) baked good are dense, tough, flavorless, crumbly, etc. Actually, in my opinion, the main issue is usually an overpowering bean flavor due to over reliance on bean flours like chickpea or fava bean flour. Don't get me wrong, in moderation these flours are fantastic! They're super high in protein and other great nutrients, but whatever you do, don't use them as the predominant flour in your recipe.
Often times, what works best in gluten free baking is a combination of 3 to 5 different gluten free flours.  

Here's my recipe in rough draft form for this cute corn muffin. As you can see, I used a combination of sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, rice flour and cornmeal. GREAT COMBO!
Millet flour could also be a great substitute for either the sorghum or rice flour.



Can anyone decipher this recipe? Or should I type it out properly? :)


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe, and I love the rough draft form!

    ReplyDelete