16 November 2013

Ms. Cupcake!

Good Saturday morning, all!

I finally received the new Ms. Cupcake (hardcover!) cookbook in the mail all the way from England!




And it's just been sitting on my coffee table for a couple of weeks... Tragic! And unlike me.

I've been following this British, retro, vegan bakery on Instagram for the last while and their photos have been so inspiring! And so far... with one recipe tested... I have not been let down! It just makes me want to visit the actual shop even more than I thought I did!

So, as I was saying... this lovely book has just been lying around for a while now.  I've definitely been thinking and planning on cracking it open to bake up something magical... like their delicious looking lemon curd slices, custard nanaimo bars, jaffa cakes, jammy dodgers, bakewell tart cupcakes, blah blah blah, you get the picture!  But it's just been a little difficult for this baker to bake on her (very limited!) time off! These days, it's pretty much the last thing on my mind. Sore wrists and all...

But turns out this morning was the perfect time! I'm running a little low on exciting ingredients at the moment, so I made basic chocolate chip cookies! They've got a nice crisp exterior and a chewy centre. I like my cookies to be a little on the flatter/crispier side so I flattened them more than was instructed in the book's directions. They also had a great flavor thanks to the abundance of vanilla and use of brown sugar!  Judging by this recipe... the rest of the recipes are sure to be equally outstanding! If you can nail a super basic recipe like classic choc chip cookies, then you can do anything! Good job Ms. Cupcake! :)




Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try for yourself

Ms. Cupcake's Chocolate Chip Cookiesmakes 16 large cookies

1 Tbsp egg replacer powder, I like Ener-G brand
3 Tbsp lukewarm water

150g non dairy butter, room temperature
75g vegetable shortening, room temperature
150g cane sugar, or use white sugar
170g light brown sugar
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

300g all purpose flour, I like La Milanaise organic all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
100-150g dark chocolate chips or chunks, I like minimal chocolate chips in my cookies :)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, whisk together the egg replacer powder and the water until frothy and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, using electric beaters, to cream the butter, shortening, sugars and vanilla until combined.
To this creamed mixture, add the egg mix to the mixing bowl along with the flour, baking powder, baking soda and chocolate chips.
Stir to combine using either a spatula or a electric beaters.
You should have a nice soft, play dough textured dough! Feel free to taste test since it's egg free! Yummy!
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop 16 balls of cookie dough onto 2 separate cookie sheets. Flatten to half an inch if you want flatter, crisper cookies, or barely flatten at all if you prefer plumper, chewier cookies.
Bake for 12 minutes or until slightly golden. If you bake until they are darker brown, they will be very crispy once cooled.
It's up to you! :)






2 comments:

  1. Whoa, glad to see you back! I'll have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete